262 Space Inspired Dog Names
Space Inspired Dog Names Will Make Your Pet Unique
Browsing our list of space names for pets, particularly suitable for puppies, you could find the best which satisfies you and suits your pet most.
Looking at the stars people have tended to think about lots of things starting with space exploration and ending with analyzing the sense of life. Being inspired by those ideas people often desired a piece of amazing space to be present in their lives.
Thus, sometimes consciously, sometimes not, they chose unusual space names for pets. You know, if you choose some name by association, for instance, cool outer space name, it will be rather funny to walk your ‘galaxy’ dog shocking the passers-by calling it Sun or Luna.
Dog names inspired by space have become so popular and recognizable that they are known by everybody. Thus, such names as Kazak and Pluto are 20th-century icons, while the name Sirius has long been associated with space dogs. You know, Sirius is the brightest star in the sky that is visible from Earth, and it is often referred to as the Dog Star.
Although space-themed names for pets sound very interesting, you should always keep in mind what associations other people will have hearing the name of your dog and if the space name you choose for your dog could be easily pronounced and shortened. Some cool outer space names, for example, Cosmo or Hyper are just variations of some full names.
What else, it is important to choose some name that corresponds to your dog’s breed, color, and size. For example, Belka, one of the first Russian space dogs, got its name because of its white color.
However, some people pay no attention to the name’s origins, they like some space dog names because they sound cute, funny and melodical. The size of your pet may matter while selecting names relating to space as well.
Names like Armstrong, Titan, and Apollo suit big dogs while Sirius, Atom, and Luna might be better for smaller dogs. Finally, if dog owners wish to give their new canine friends names inspired by other dogs of space, they might consider the breeds. For example, Astro, the Jetson’s dog, was a Great Dane and Comet, Tanner’s dog from Full House was a Golden Retriever.
Whatever your motivation is, you will have a lot of options to look through if you read this article up to the end.
Planet Inspired Names
Planet names for dogs sound solid and serious. As a rule, they are not shortened. But does it matter if your cosmic dog name makes your pet unique like the universe? Are you interested in any details about those planets that may inspire you to choose your galaxy dog name?
Saturn is the 6th planet from the sun and has the most intense rings of any planet studied in the solar system made mostly of dust.
It was named after the Roman God of war, Mars, and imitates Mars’ fiery attitude with an equally intense terrain and color. Mars contains the highest mountains in the solar system.
It is the smallest planet in the solar system, but it is the second hottest planet in the solar system, not including the sun, and it contains a molten core. The name of the planet was inspired by the Roman messenger of the Gods.
Jupiter is constructed mostly of gas, and as such is called a Gas Giant. It is an incredibly massive planet, being two and a half times larger than all the other planets in the solar system combined. Being such a large and powerful planet, it was named after the Roman king of the Gods.
The sun is a star and is nearly 5 billion years old. However, when owners are searching space names for dogs they would mostly choose the variant Sunny, associated with somebody dear you really love and value.
Venus is named after the Roman Goddess of love and beauty, and it is the hottest planet in the solar system.
Did you know that many planets have their moons, and here are …
Some dog names inspired by moons:
- Cressida (Cressy)
- Hyperion (Hyper)
- Miranda (Mandy)
- Perdita (Purdy)
- Rosalind (Rosy)
Space-related dog names can also be associated with astronomy in general, denoting something really disastrous like Chaos or Crater, denoting something neutral like Cosmic or Solar, having originated from some famous people’s names whose contribution to outer space exploration was crucial like Einstein, Galileo or Copernicus (Copper).
If you wish to find some exceptional and marvelous space male or female names, our astronomy-related options for your furry friend are here for you to research.
Space male or female dog names:
- Blueshift (Blue)
- Copernicus (Copper)
- Cosmos (Cosmo)
- Hartmann (Hart)
- Kentaurus (Kent)
- Magnetosphere (Magnet)
Galaxy inspired names may be found in different areas. Some people are so inventive, that gazing at the stars through their telescope and seeing a meteor shower or some constellations they may find it a good idea to call their lovely pet Polaris or Leo. An amateur astronomer who enjoys studying night skies can also find here some ideas for a new puppy’s name.
Dog Names Inspired by Constellations:
- Aldebaran (Aldi)
- Alpha (Alf)
- Betelgeuse (Beetle, Juice)
- Capricornus (Capri)
- Cassiopeia (Cassie)
- Centaurid (Centaur)
- Cepheus (Ceph)
- Lacerta (Lacey)
- Lupus (Loop)
- Pegasus (Peg)
Outer space dog names inspired by the Solar system:
- Asteroid (Aster)
- Leonid (Leo)
Some heaven associated space pet names can also attract your attention. Choose something from the list below and feel lofty)
Have you also heard of a brilliant idea to call your pets after some famous astronomers or space explorers? Check the list below to be sure no catching and amazing pet space names were missed.
- Armstrong (Neil Armstrong, the first person to set foot on the Moon)
- Azophi (a Persian astronomer)
- Bayer (Johann Bayer, a German astronomer)
- Buzz (Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin, American astronaut)
- Edwin (Edwin Hubble, an American astronomer)
- Ferdinand (Ferdinand Magellan, a Portuguese navigator)
- Hubble (Edwin Hubble, an American astronomer)
- Newton (Isaac Newton, an English astronomer)
- Sagan (Carl Sagan, American astronomer)
- Shepard (Alan Shepard, first American in space)
- Snell (Dutch astronomer)
- Tito (Dennis Tito, first space tourist)
- Tycho (Tycho Brahe, a Danish astronomer)
- Yuri (Yuri Gagarin, first human in space)
- Hubble (discoverer of Pluto)
Not only humans but animals’ names may help you to find galaxy dog names. These can be originally dogs’, monkeys’ or even other species’ names.
- Albert (the first monkey in space)
- Baker (another space monkey)
- Enos (first chimpanzee in orbit)
- Gordo (another space monkey)
- Laika (one of the famous Russian space dogs)
- Pushinka (a famous Russian space dog)
- Belka (descendant of Pushinka, the Russian space dog)
- Strelka (another descendant of Pushinka)
- Anita/Arabella (the first spiders to go into space)
- Félicette (first cat in space)
- Marfusa (first rabbit in space)
As a matter of fact, do you find it funny to call your dog after the first cat or rabbit in space?
One more important aspect is that while choosing outer space names for pets people should keep in mind if these are space names for boy or girl dog. And you know, in some countries breeders pick perfect puppy names using initials of their parents. Below you may find some male space names and some short explanations about their connection with space.
Male space names:
- Kepler (spacecraft named after German astronomer Johannes Kepler)
- Wilson (Mount Wilson Observatory)
- Nasa dog names are mostly for male dogs as well:
- Apollo (NASA space program to put men on the moon).
- Nova (an astronomical event that produces a large flare of brights during the birth or death of a star).
- Electra (a European Space Agency satellite)
- Nasa (a reference to the US space program)
- Columbia (a NASA space program in the 1980s)
- Cosmo (relating to space and the universe)
- Sputnik (Russian satellite)
Alpha male dog names could be chosen from the list below. These are space names for boys which will make you as an owner feel special
- Titan (the largest moon of Saturn, which has Earth-like qualities)
- Jet (to move fast)
- Galileo (champion thinker of heliocentrism)
- Umbra (the dark side or shadow cast on an object, such as the Moon during an eclipse)
- Meteor (a small rocky or metallic body in space)
- Oberon (a large moon of Uranus)
- Crater (a depression made after a large body strikes the surface of a larger planet or moon)
- Atom (the smallest unit of matter)
- Hermes (a proposed French spacecraft)
- Trojan (a body that orbits a larger body, such as the Moon to Earth)
Female space inspired dog names can also include the categories mentioned above, but the main reason to choose them concerns their correspondence to your pet’s characteristics.
Some space names for girls refer to the solar system and its elements, e.g.:
- Venus (a beautiful planet in the Solar System)
- Ophelia (a Moon of Uranus)
- Elara (a moon of Jupiter)
- Phoebe (a moon of Saturn)
some of them are associated with famous female astronomers:
- Mae (Mae Jemison, first African American woman in space)
- Sally (Sally Ride, first American woman in space)
- Valentina (Valentina Tereshkova, first woman in space)
- Vera (for Vera Rubin, an American astronomer)
Some other examples of space-related girl names are as follows:
- Luna (Spanish for the Moon)
- Aurora (a beautiful light star in the northern hemisphere)
- Cassiopeia (a constellation in the northern sky named after a vain queen)
- Halley (a reference to Halley’s Comet)
- Juliet (an inner satellite of Uranus)
- Catena (a series of craters on one of Jupiter’s moons)
- Sky (the starlit heavens above)
- Stella (morning star)
- Star (a brightly burning ball of gas)
- Astrid (a Swedish Space Corporation satellite)
- Celest (a reference to heavenly bodies)
- Galaxy (a large grouping of stars, like the Milky Way)
- Vega (one of closest stars to the Sun at only 25 light-years)
- Eclipse (the blocking of the sun by a crossing body, such as the Moon)
- Corona (a beautiful crown around the Earth or Moon during a Solar eclipse)
- Pandora (a moon of Saturn)
- Ida (a large asteroid)
- Chasma (a deep depression in a planet’s geology)
Universe names for dogs, and alpha dog names, in particular, and themed names for pets, in general, could be discussed further because it is so inspiring and funny. Wish you good luck to find something you like and your pet will be happy with!